- Interesting: The Quantcast opt-out only applies to their advertising delivery services. They do not allow consumers to opt out of tracking for the purposes of audience measurement.
- Good: The policy confirms that Quantcast uses Flash cookies, and states that those are only used for audience measurement of Flash applications and not for behavioral ad targeting. There is no Flash cookie opt-out provided, which aligns with their theory that no opt-out is necessary for audience measurement.
- Good: They have a direct link to their opt-out on their top page. Not prominent, but it is there at least.
- Good: They now have a deletion policy (called for by the privacychoice best practices for opt-outs). Log data is retained indefinitely for audience research and 13 months for advertising purposes, which puts them among the companies with shorter retention periods (at least for advertising).
- Good and Bad: They fixed the issues I mentioned with their prior implementation (unique cookie value), and now have a straightforward, non-unique opt-out cookie. However, they assign a cookie deletion date/time based on the date/time when first set, which — doh! — means the cookie is no longer non-unique.
- Not so good: The policy does not expressly state that if you opt-out, behavioral information will not be collected and shared; it only says that if you opt out you will not receive interest-based advertising and content. A better practice would be to make it clear no information is collected from opted-out users for any purpose other than audience measurement.
January 20, 2009]
Quantcast provides this Privacy
Personally Identifiable Information means information about you that can be used to contact or identify you. Personally Identifiable Information may include, but is not limited to, your username, your name, phone number, email address and home and business postal addresses.
Information Collection and Use
Publishers and MarketerClients
- We require Quantcast
Publishers and MarketerClients to provide certain Personally Identifiable Information when first becoming Quantcast Publishers or MarketerClients. We may also request additional Personally Identifiable Information from time to time thereafter. Providing such additional Personally Identifiable Information is entirely optional, although some Quantcast.com Site features may not work without it.
- For Quantcast
Publishers and MarketerClients, we use your Personally Identifiable Information mainly to provide the Services to you, as applicable, and to administer your inquiries. We may also use your Personally Identifiable Information to contact you with Quantcast newsletters, marketing or promotional materials and other information that may be of interest to you. If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to receive such communications from us, please follow the unsubscribe instructions provided in any of the communications.
- If you do not have a website that you want to measure, but you do want to access or use certain information, content, or tools on the Quantcast.com Site or receive our newsletter or other marketing materials and information, you may be required to register and to submit certain Personally Identifiable Information to us. This includes user name, password, email address, physical address, and telephone number, as well as any other information that you decide to provide us with. Your profile information and your name may be displayed in the Quantcast network to enable you to connect with other people on the network, as specified by you in your privacy settings.
- If you contact us by email through the Site, we may keep a record of your contact information and correspondence, and may use your email address, and any information that you provide to us in your message, to respond to you.
- In addition, we may use your Personally Identifiable Information to contact you with Quantcast newsletters, marketing or promotional materials and other information that may be of interest to you. If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to receive such communications from us, please follow the unsubscribe instructions provided in any of the communications.
- “Log Data” means information sent by your browser such as your computer’s IP address, pixel code, referring HTTP location, search string, time of the access, browser’s time, any searches made on the applicable website, and other statistics.
- When you visit the Quantcast.com Site, whether as a Quantcast
Publisher, MarketerClient, Registered User or Quantcast Visitor, our servers automatically record and collect Log Data sent by your browser. We use the Log Data to monitor and analyze the use of the Quantcast.com Site and the Services, for the Quantcast.com Site’s technical administration, to increase the Quantcast.com Site’s functionality and user-friendliness, and to better tailor it to our visitors’ needs. For example, some of this information is collected so that when you visit the Quantcast.com Site again, it will recognize you and will be able to serve content, advertisements, and other information appropriate to your interests.
- We also collect Log Data each time you visit third-party websites serving content that has been tagged by Quantcast
Publishers or MarketerClients with Quantcast Tags. We analyze suchLog Data and combine it between sites andwith other data and informationto produce the Reports that are made available on the Quantcast.com Site, andto enable web publishers to deliver toadvertisers audience segments that are appropriate for their products or services. This combined data is also used by us and our partners to serve you content, advertisements, and other information tailored to your interests.
- We do not link Log Data to any other Personally Identifiable Information about you or otherwise attempt to discover your identity. We make efforts to require our Quantcast
Publishers and MarketerClients to ensure that any such third party website post adequate privacy policies and otherwise protect the privacy rights of their visitors. Check the privacy policies of websites tagged with Quantcast Tags for information regarding the applicable privacy practices.
Publishers or MarketerClients with Quantcast Tags, to collect Log Data, as described in the Log Data section above. You can instruct your browser, by changing its options, to stop accepting cookies or to prompt you before accepting a cookie from the websites you visit. If you do not accept cookies , however,you may not be able to use all portions of the Quantcast.com Site or all functionality of the Services.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
Log Data and Aggregate Information. We may share the following information with third parties, including, but not limited to, vendors that support the operation of our Services and entities involved in the delivery of advertisements: Log Data collected on both the Quantcast.com Site and third party websites tagged with Quantcast Tags (as described in the Log Data section above), as well as aggregated anonymized information resulting from the analysis of such Log Data for a variety of purposes, including, but not limited to, conducting industry, traffic and demographic analysis, and enabling web publishers to deliver to advertisers audience segments that are appropriate for their products or services.
Comments or Submissions. User Interaction. In addition to your username, any comments or submissions (“Unsolicited Information”) that you post to the Quantcast.com Site, whether as a Quantcast
Publisher, a MarketerClient or as a Registered User, will be publicly available. All such Unsolicited Information will be deemed to be non-confidential and Quantcast will be free to reproduce, use, disclose, and distribute such Unsolicited Information to others without limitation or attribution. You should be aware that, if you voluntarily disclose Unsolicited Information online, that Unsolicited Information can be collected and used by others. For example, if you post your email address in comments sections or online forums, you may receive unsolicited messages from others. In addition, if you decide to request a copy of the Reports or other content or information from Quantcast Publishers or MarketerClients or otherwise interact with other users, certain information that you provided to us during the registration process, such as, for instance, your name, e-mail address, company name, and industry, as well as any other information (including Unsolicited Information) that you disclose in connection with any such communications may be collected, used and disclosed for the purpose of satisfying your request or otherwise allowing such user interaction. Quantcast has no control over the use of Personally Identifiable Information that you voluntarily post in public forums or otherwise disclose while interacting with other users, whether Quantcast Publishers, MarketerClients or Registered Users. Any such Personally Identifiable Information you choose to disclose should reflect how much you want other users to know about you. We encourage our Quantcast Publishers, MarketerClients and Registered Users to think carefully about what information about themselves they disclose in their comments or submissions.
Service Providers. We may employ third party companies and individuals to facilitate the Services, to provide the Services on our behalf, to perform services related to administration of the Services (including, without limitation, maintenance, hosting and database management services, and administration). These third parties have access to your Personally Identifiable Information and Log Data only to perform these tasks on our behalf and are obligated not to disclose or use it for any other purpose.
Compliance with Laws and Law Enforcement. Quantcast cooperates with government and law enforcement officials and private parties to enforce and comply with the law. We disclose Personally Identifiable Information and Log Data to government or law enforcement officials or private parties as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary or appropriate to respond to claims and legal process (including but not limited to subpoenas), to protect the property and rights of Quantcast or a third party, to protect the safety of the public or any person, or to prevent or stop any activity we may consider to be, or to pose a risk of being illegal or legally actionable.
Business Transfers. Quantcast may sell, transfer or otherwise share some or all of its assets, including your Personally Identifiable Information and Log Data, in connection with a merger, acquisition, reorganization or sale of assets or in the event of bankruptcy. You will have the opportunity to opt out of any such transfer if the new entity’s planned processing of your information differs materially from that set forth in this Privacy